Biofuels and the Global Food Crisis

According to UK newspaper The Guardian, "Biofuels have forced global food prices up by 75% - far more than previously estimated - according to a confidential World Bank report obtained by the Guardian." The article may be read at http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jul/03/biofuels.renewableenergy.

I believe that biofuels are a contributing factor to the food crisis. If its effect is as high as 75%, clearly it's a really big deal. However, I am skeptical that 75% is true for the simple reason that this information came from the World Bank. The World Bank very likely has vested interests in preventing any form of energy source other than oil taking root. "Accidentally" leaking information so condemning of biofuels is suspicious. I guess it is possible, but I can not imagine the World Bank making such a mistake. Yes, I am implying that this move was deliberate. I will not be surprised if this "accident" by the World Bank spells disaster for the biofuel market. It's all speculation, I know.

Whatever the case, I do not think biofuels will be the energy crisis savior. There are better technologies in existence. The situation is extremely complicated on both economic and political levels, making the implementation of any alternative energy technology difficult. The solution must come from a change in people: either those in charge of the world stop being selfish, or we in our communities get fed up with it.

As a final word this moment, none of this is a cause for despair. The incliner of hearts is still in control.

Popular Posts